A kitchen renovation project can be costly, but don’t let that scare you. This doesn’t have to stop you from getting out your dream space. Eveything can be planned carefully, and along side it is a tight budgeting to which you can achieve modern, stylish, and functional kitchen.
In this guide, we’ll share some useful tips on how you can save money on a kitchen renovation project. Keep these in mind so that you don’t have to break the bank on your next makeover.
Why are kitchen renovations so expensive?
Before anything, let’s explain what drives up the cost of a kitchen renovation project. This will help you decide where to save and where to splurge.
Updating a kitchen nowadays can be really be expensive because it requires a lot of finish materials, like benchtops, tiles, splashbacks, and cabinets. Additionally, it will require you to hire licensed specialists – Perth Kitchen Renovations.
Finding a balance between where to spend or splurge is the key to a budget-friendly kitchen renovation. If you go premium on every aspect of your kitchen, then you risk going over budget.
How to update your kitchen for less
1. Evaluate your current space
The easiest way to save money on a kitchen renovation is to keep some of the things you already have. Check your existing appliances, cabinetry, plumbing fixtures, benchtops, and tiles, to see which ones you are fine with keeping.
2. Maintain the layout
Changing a kitchen’s layout is one of the reasons a renovation can cost so much. Usually, this involves demolishing load-bearing walls, adding support beams, relocating plumbing fixtures, and rewiring the entire kitchen. These tasks require the help of licensed plumbers and electricians. Additionally, moving a load-bearing wall will usually require help from a structural engineer.
Consulting a skilled draftsman can help you find ways to get your dream kitchen without having to do all of these costly tasks. One of the solutions they can suggest is adding a cutout instead of removing the wall completely. Another solution is to steal some space elsewhere by reducing the size of corridors.
3. Get clear about what you can DIY
A lot of home renovation projects usually require the assistance of a professional. This will greatly help in maximizing your space, but the only downside is that it cost a bit to have them. If you’re on a tight budget, there are also some jobs you can try to do yourself, such as:
- Attaching open shelving
- Building a rack for pots and pans
- Painting kitchen cabinets
- Replacing kitchen doors
- Repainting floorboards
- Replacing the kitchen tap
- Swapping drawer hardware
- Installing under-cabinet lighting
- Installing tiles
Make sure to clarify which ones you will complete with your builder before starting the project so that your work won’t disrupt the project timeline.
4. Visit showrooms and check materials in person
A lot of people end up ordering products and materials from the Internet and then choose not to use them once the items are delivered. It’s more practical to visit showrooms in person and see if the materials and products are ideal for your dream kitchen.
5. Choose affordable benchtop materials
Even though you have your heart set on granite or quartz, it wouldn’t hurt to explore other options. Here are some of the materials you can consider:
- Solid surface: Solid surface countertops consist of mineral dust, resin, and pigments. They’re meant to mimic the look of natural stone at a lower cost.
- Tiles: Porcelain or ceramic tiles can be used for countertops. Make sure that they’re properly glazed so that they won’t stain. Applying proper sealant also ensures that the grout won’t discolour.
- Butcher block: Butcher blocks are made from long cuts of natural wood. They’re an excellent choice for rustic kitchens.
If you’re unwilling to budge on your dream of having natural stone countertops, don’t worry. You can ask about various grades of granite. A lower grade one will give you better value for your money compared to a high-grade version.
6. Refresh your cabinets
Replacing cabinetry is one of the most expensive things you can do for a kitchen renovation budget. Thankfully, you can simply give your existing cabinets a new lease on life by trying any of the following:
- Repainting: Sanding, priming, and repainting your cabinets in a new colour will dramatically change the look of your kitchen. Aside from white, you can also try darker colours to give your kitchen a moody, modern feel.
- Changing the hardware: Replacing the handles, knobs, and hinges can also help your cabinets look brand-new. If you want a modern kitchen, go for handles with simple, sleek designs.
- Refacing: Refacing involves changing the face of the cabinet while maintaining the cabinet box itself. This is a wise choice if your cabinet doors have an ornate, traditional look and you want to change them to a sleek, modern one. A new veneer will then be added to the cabinets to make them seem brand-new.
Aside from refreshing your existing cabinets, you can also opt to install open shelving. Today, there’s a lot of choices available for you and there are even DIY set that you can buy online. These option is less expensive compared to cabinets and also allow you to put your beautiful plates and cups on display.
7. Get creative with your splashbacks
There’s no rule that says you need to add splashback tiles everywhere. You can add tiles only behind the sink and cooktop, where they’re most visible. Aside from these, you can try these options:
- Paint: Instead of installing tiles, adding a fresh coat of paint can make a huge difference.
- Venetian plaster: Venetian plaster is easy to apply and budget-friendly. They also come in a variety of finishes, like matt or gloss.
- Glass: Glass is sleek and inexpensive. They also come in a variety of colours and textures.
- Thermoplastic: Thermoplastic comes in a variety of designs and patterns. They’re durable and easy to clean.
- Chalkboard paint: Chalkboard paint comes in a gorgeous dark colour. They also create a canvas where you can draw cute figures or write motivational messages.
8. Buy refurbished or floor model appliances
Buying brand-new appliances can significantly drive up the cost of a kitchen renovation project. Try looking for refurbished models or ask your local appliance store if they’re willing to sell their floor models at a discounted price.
9. Choose porcelain flooring
Large-format porcelain tiles work well in kitchens. They’re a low-cost alternative to natural stone and resist chipping. You don’t have to worry about how they look, either. These days, you can easily find porcelain tiles that mimic the appearance of natural stone.
10. Spend time finding accessories
It’s easy to save money on kitchen accessories if you spend more time looking for discounted items. Visit various online stores for kitchen towels, wall hangings, and paper towel holders. You can even find inexpensive bar stools and lighting fixtures in flea markets.
Start your budget-friendly kitchen renovation now
Updating a kitchen doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg. By following any of our tips above, you can make your kitchen look and feel brand-new at a lower cost. Start planning your budget-friendly kitchen renovation project today!