Starting eCommerce websites from scratch can be quite intimidating. However, with proper planning and preparation, you can get your online store up and running in no time!
The key to successfully starting an eCommerce business is to know your target audience inside and out. So, you can cater to product selection around the users’ needs as much as possible. But even then, you might have questions about whether or not your store has enough features to compete with other competitors in the industry.
Moreover, with so many features to choose from, it can be tough to figure out which ones you need on your eCommerce website.
If you choose the wrong ones, you may have to spend too much time or money on features that aren’t important to your customers. In contrast, if you don’t choose any, you may lose sales because potential customers can’t find what they want on your site!
It’s a fine line to walk!
Top 5 Factors to Consider While Investigating Features of eCommerce Websites
There are a few factors to consider when looking at eCommerce features and building your website. When deciding which features work best for you, it is essential to remember that with increased functionality comes a price increase.
Do not be tempted by unlimited features and functionality. Instead, find one that gives you what you need while saving money by opting out of bells and whistles, which would drive up costs exponentially.
Detailed Study of the Target Audience
The first step in designing any business is researching who you’re trying to sell your product or service to. Once you’ve established who they are, try and understand why they might buy from eCommerce websites.
Ultimately, look for detailed answers to the following questions:
- Who is your target audience?
- What is the age group of your target audience?
- How have their shopping habits changed?
- What problems can you solve for them via eCommerce websites?
- How can you integrate new technologies into your product that no one else has implemented yet?
Analyzing these aspects is critical for finding the necessary features and suitable elements in the design and development process of the eCommerce website.
You can also indulge in direct conversation with the target audience to find out what they like and dislike about popular eCommerce websites. It will help you better understand their requirements, which you can integrate into your product or service.
With all this research, you’ll be able to identify critical points that will make up your must-have list for an eCommerce website.
A Quick Look at the Top eCommerce Websites Features
User-friendly designs, Mobile compatibility, 24/7 client service, etc., are some of the top eCommerce features you cannot ignore, irrespective of what you are trying to sell over eCommerce websites.
Have a glimpse of these features:
User-friendly designs: When it comes to designing a professional-looking and user-friendly eCommerce website, there are two things that you should keep in mind – responsive design and mobile compatibility.
- Responsive design means your website will look great on any device, including desktop computers, laptops, tablets, and smartphones.
- Mobile compatibility ensures your site will look good on smaller screens of smartphones and tablets.
Multiple Payment Options: Accepting payments through various payment options is a great way to increase conversion rates and boost your sales. The only downside is that it might require you to use more than one payment gateway solution.
Display Genuine User Reviews: Displaying genuine user reviews on your site helps you build trust with potential customers and increases sales. You can use review management software like Yotpo to manage customer reviews, display them on product pages and even share them on social media channels like Facebook and Twitter.
24/7 Client Service: A great way to improve customer satisfaction is by providing 24/7 client service through live chat, phone, or email support options.
Quick Checkout Process: A streamlined checkout process helps you increase your conversion rate and boost sales. The faster customers can check out, complete their purchase and receive their product, the better it is for you as an online store owner. You can use a third-party shopping cart plugin like Woocommerce or Shopify to create a quick checkout process on your site in no time.
Discount Features: Offering discounts and coupons on products helps you generate more sales and boost customer satisfaction.
Research your Immediate Competitor’s eCommerce Websites
Analyze and Evaluate each of your competitors’ eCommerce websites and list their top 5 unique selling points. It will help you analyze what features they’re offering that make them stand out from their competition.
You can also reach out to some of your competitors directly or through social media and ask questions about what their customer base is looking for. Getting answers from an industry expert gives you a first-hand perspective on popular demands in today’s market.
One of the top eCommerce features in trend nowadays includes customization. Analyze whether you can offer it on your website. Create a detailed customization form for the users if the answer is positive. This will help you differentiate yourself from your competitors and attract more customers.
Give Additional Focus on Augmented Reality
AR takes a 2D product and transforms it into a virtual 3D model, allowing shoppers to visualize products in their natural environment. They can see how a dress will look when worn, or use their smartphone cameras or scanners on packaging or magazines, to get the additional information and price estimates. It creates an interactive experience for shoppers that further deepens their connection with products before making purchases.
AR is effectively bridging the gap between virtual stores and physical stores. Users now have a new way of shopping that allows them to view products in a new light. It gives them an experience that makes it easier to make purchases because they can see how products will look, feel, and fit into their lives before purchasing anything.
Ultimately, your eCommerce website will have a reduced return rate, increased sales & customer satisfaction. The best part is that by hiring eCommerce developers you can integrate AR on existing platforms as well.
Latest Technology Trends
Source: Statista – Products Growing Online Sale Fastest
The eCommerce industry is dynamic, with new trends emerging and evolving almost daily. So keep abreast of industry trends to stay relevant in today’s fast-changing environment. Consider investing in tools like augmented reality, virtual reality, and advanced chatbots that can make shopping more personalized.
Some of the notable trends include:
- Selling products via social media platforms has become immensely popular as they offer more opportunities for brands in today’s world. More consumers now engage directly with companies and provide their opinions on products and services. For retailers, engaging via these channels can be a powerful way to take brand loyalty to new heights.
- AI helps eCommerce websites with a better user experience.
- Chatbots as virtual assistants can handle basic customer service requests and help customers find information on products and services quickly.
- You can trust sentiment analysis for an accurate and real-time view of how customers feel about your brand.
- Augmented reality helps shoppers visualize products in a virtual environment before buying them. It also offers retailers a new way to create engaging content, including videos and product displays that come alive on mobile devices.
- Virtual reality gives shoppers an immersive experience when trying on clothes or other products in a virtual setting. Some brands also use the technology to give customers an inside look at their manufacturing processes.
- Uploading real videos of the products over eCommerce websites has also become a trend. These videos are not only used for creating content but can also be used to show customers how they work and how they can benefit them.
Play around with mockups or wireframes. It helps you focus on where content is placed and how customers can interact with it. You might find that something you thought would be crucial to your business after a few tweaks don’t add much value.
If you got an idea for a new feature or product but aren’t quite sure if it’s worth it, try playing around with mockups of what it could look like in action. eCommerce website development company can help you build such prototypes and help make decisions on how to move forward via:
A/B Testing – A/B testing is when two versions of a page are shown simultaneously (one version being A and one being B) and measuring which one performs better. The goal is usually to get more clicks on one particular call-to-action button or increase overall engagement by bringing visitors to stay longer on your site.
Related Post – Why Online Reviews Matter More Than Ever in Ecommerce