When the family grows, they plan to increase the value of their property or they simply want to be more comfortable the need to make changes arises. That’s why we give you some ideas on how to expand a home on a budget. So you can know what you need to successfully complete the project and make the most of the money you are going to invest.
How can I enlarge my house?
You can enlarge your house in different ways, there are renovations without works that will help you make space look bigger. Such as:
- Connect spaces to make your home look bigger. You can integrate the living room, dining room and kitchen. Thus you have a single functional and comfortable area.
- You can remove walls, and instead of these use furniture to separate environments. This way you will have independent areas, but at the same time connected.
- Tidying up your house is one way to make it bigger. If you want to make your home look bigger, use furniture that helps you organize and also those that are multifunctional.
- Folding doors help separate and unite spaces. Likewise, the sliders allow connecting areas and making the most of them, giving the feeling of spaciousness.
- You can also use glass or glass walls. In addition to being a very modern option to separate rooms, it allows natural light to pass through. And although it seems that these are fragile and dangerous, they are quite safe since, in general, they are made of safety glass which is quite resistant.
- The light colors on the walls also help to create a visual effect of greater amplitude in the spaces. It is also a fairly inexpensive and practical option. Use white and pastel tones in the rooms you want to expand. If you like patterns, we recommend those with vertical lines. These will make the walls look longer.
Later we will give more examples of how to expand a house on a budget. When we add home extensions North London there are many options that require little investment.
Tips before expanding the house
First of all, you have to determine how much money you have and what you want to do to carry out the expansion. It is also key to use experts to lead the project even if you think you can do it yourself. This is because they have knowledge of what types of permits to expand a house are necessary to process with the city hall. Opting for the advice of professionals could save you money and give you a guarantee for the work. There are certain things to know before renovating to avoid fines and demolitions.
Ask for several quotes and compare. It is recommended to evaluate all the spaces before starting the expansion so that you know what works to be carried out. Likewise, the structure of the house should be reviewed to certify that it is solid in case of an extension on the second floor.
Take into account external factors such as natural light and ventilation that can be obtained with decorative elements. Skylights or roof windows are often used. Another aspect to consider is the land on which it will be built. It must be firm to be able to build and not have movements that damage the construction. Do not neglect to examine if there is a connection to the sewer network if you are going to expand bathrooms or kitchen. As well as electrical installations and connections to the water matrix.
How to expand a house on a budget
Experts recommend that no more than 30% of the property’s value be spent on structural work. The ideal is to invest 10% for changes. To save money there are some tricks that can be done so that the expansion is not complicated and you reach the budget allocated.
The first thing is that you take advantage of the space you have in the garden or patio. Another way to save is to use the same material from which the house is made. Also, make use of durable and ecological elements such as wood. Here are some alternatives to expand a home on a budget:
1. Prefabricated modules:
Expanding a house with prefabricated modules is one of the easy and inexpensive solutions. These are made according to the size required in the factory and are incorporated into the house quickly. It is a clean reform, which saves money and the inconvenience of construction. They are built-in materials such as wood and concrete.
2. Enclosure system:
An enclosure made of metal and glass is ideal to expand the house in a simple way. You get a small living room inside the property that will allow us to enjoy the outside.
It also serves to extend the kitchen, connecting it with the patio. The living room is another area that can be expanded with this method. The windows give the feeling of being outdoors and in winter letting the sun pass through helps keep the place warm.
3. Wood and steel:
The versatility of wood can be used to achieve more space with work attached to the house. By expanding with this material it will not clash with the rest. Steel sliding sconces are incorporated for the windows. Wood saves you heating costs because it helps thermal insulation, apart from acoustic. Another alternative is to use windows with an aluminum frame, a ceramic floor, and wooden perimeter walls. The roof is made of zinc tiles.
4. Double height :
If your house has a very high structure, it can be used to add a room with an iron structure and a wooden staircase. The steps are made with planks placed on beams. This new space could double as a bedroom, office, or a TV room.
5. Largest room:
To expand this area, a small wall is built of the same material that covers the walls of the house. Then metal joinery is placed on the sides and a folding door in front. The same floor is maintained. On the outside, a metal border is placed that is supported by a wooden structure. The expansion is also done with wooden tiles and metal carpentry.
6. Closing of balconies:
If the house has balconies or galleries, it is time to close them and integrate them into the rooms. Space is gained with simple work.
Ideas on how to expand a house with little money
Here are other simple and practical ideas to help you expand a home on a budget.
- Use low-cost or prefabricated materials such as aluminum windows, polycarbonate roofs, and others. They will serve in the reform of your bedroom.
- Use translucent elements. These will allow them to take advantage of natural light, keep the environment cool and also save on lighting, materials, and labor.
- Take advantage of flat roofs. These, in addition to looking incredible, can be used as terraces where you can rest or even hold small meetings with friends and family.
Building house extensions North London is usually not that simple. So it is important that you seek advice from experts in the field. We hope these tips on how to expand a home on a budget will help you make your project successful.