To manage the files the emails Outlook uses the PST file format. This PST file contains all important mailbox data. Emails, Contacts, Notes, Tasks, Calendars, etc. All that data is subject to regular usage that continues to grow every day.
This results in heavy mailboxes and sometimes the need to split and split very large PST files. This condition is caused by normal inbound and outbound emails and managing other data such as contacts, appointments, tasks, and so on.
Users often misunderstand that simply deleting emails will speed up the program. Doing a soft delete will move the item directly to the deleted folder, but this doesn’t solve the problem. Therefore, many users are complaining about low disk space usage for storing additional data items in their PST files. This is because of the size limitation of MS Outlook data storage. Therefore, the following discussion describes the splitting of the large PST files.
Why do users need to separate their PST files?
There can be many reasons for a user to separate their PST files. Let us have a look at these reasons;
- If the PST files exceed limit than they can be corrupted
- Users can separate their PST files according to their work, and private information.
- The split PST files provide a great performance.
- And many more reasons are there for a user to separate their PST files. Let us now have a look at the techniques for the splitting of the PST files.
Outlook Differentiation for Splitting Very Large PST Files
PST has two different formats. PST files in ANSI format and PST files in Unicode PST format. They are created by completely different editions of the Microsoft Outlook client. However, users can store up to 50 GB of data in Unicode files, while ANSI PST files can only store up to 2 GB of data. There are many pros and cons associated with this aspect of large PST files.
ANSI file supports the old version of MS Outlook whereas Unicode supports newer versions like Outlook 2003, 2007, and 2010. Even if a user saves a database that exceeds the imposed file size limit, the respective mailbox data will be corrupted. To avoid the aforementioned complications users, search for methods to split their Outlook PST files.
How does this help with splitting PST files?
Splitting the PST files into smaller parts automatically frees you from the problems and consequences you have to face with large PST mailbox files. On the other hand, the situation is complicated by the lack of available procedures that can resolve PST files.
We will discuss the methods that a user can follow to split their Outlook PST files. Let us have a look at these methods.
Methods to split the PST files
Here are the methods that can be followed by a user in order to split their Outlook PST files. A user can follow any of these methods in order to split their PST files into smaller parts.
Method 1. Using the Move to folder Option
For following the move to folder method, it is necessary for a user to install the MS Outlook email client. The steps are as followed;
- Launch the Microsoft Outlook application to start the process.
- Click the “File” tab in the upper left corner >> Account Settings >> Account Settings.
- Then click the Data Files tab and click the Add button to add a new PST file and give it a unique name for your convenience.
- Once added, go to Home and open the old PST file in your Outlook profile.
- Select the items you want to move to the newly created PST file.
- To move, click the Move tab on the ribbon and click Copy to Folder.
- After running the Copy to Folder Wizard, select the newly created PST file to move the selected items from the old PST file.
- After moving the items to the new PST, it serves the purpose of deleting the copied items from the old PST to reduce the size of the old PST.
Method 2: Using Import and Export option
Since there are many ways to split PST files manually, in this order go to another method and follow the given steps to split his PST file.
- First, open the Microsoft Outlook application on your system.
- Then click File >> Open & Export >> Import/Export.
- In the Export and Import Wizard, find the Export to File option. Click Next to continue.
- In the File Export window, find and select the Outlook Data File (.pst) option and click Next to proceed to the next step.
- The Export Outlook Data File Wizard will open, select the Export Folders and Subfolders >> Include Subfolders option.
- Now, to select the location of the exported files, select the Browse tab, stop exporting duplicate items, and click the Don’t export duplicates option. Finally, click the Finish button.
- Finally, set a password for the PST file or cancel the option to set a password.
Method 3: Archive Wizard PST Size Reduction Method
If you do not have an automated PST splitter, you can also use the Archive Wizard to split large PST files into smaller files.
- As usual, open Microsoft Outlook and follow the given navigation. File menu and go to the Info tab and then select the Cleanup Tools and now at last select the Archive button
- Next, select the desired archive folder and select the date you want to archive the items.
- At the same time as the second step, click on the “Browse” option to save the item and give it a name such as “New PST File”.
- Finally, click on the “OK” tab to confirm.
A newly created PST file will be generated in the desired location. The purpose of reducing PST file size is completed by following this process.
There is plenty of software available in the market that will split your PST files but this Softaken Split PST is one of the advanced solutions for every single user. Using this app, a user can split any number of PST files. The app supports the splitting of PST files in an easy way. Moreover, the app is an amazing solution for every single user. Any hurdle is not faced by a user while following the splitting of the PST files. Moreover, a user does not need to download the MS Outlook app for carrying out the splitting task. Apart from this, a user can split both the ANSI as well as UNICODE language of the PST files. No restrictions are faced by a user using this advanced solution. In addition, a free demo version is also available by the app in order to know more about the tool.
Why use this app
Users must try out this advanced Split PST tool as;
- The tool is easy to handle
- Can split any size PST file
- Follows a reliable splitting of the PST files
- No corruption is there
- Any error is not faced by the users.
- No need to install the MS Outlook
This blog is an informative blog that provides a solution for the splitting of PST files. We have provided users with four different methods following which a user can split their PST files. A user can easily split the PST files while using the third-party app. It is a reliable solution for every single user. However, it is up to the users to select their choice method.