There are many opportunities, but also many challenges that companies that have enabled e-commerce platforms to sell online have to face every day. Competition in this area is tough, so businesses need to stay on top of eCommerce trends. Get in touch with Best Ecommerce Solutions Agency in London
Among these challenges is that of personalizing the customer experience. This factor, of great importance for those who work in the industry, refers to the various expectations of online shopping users that must be taken into account:
- The problems related to the environment.
- The impact of choosing local products
- The demand for agility in the purchase process (selection of products and services, including delivery or after-sales assistance).
- The fluidity of purchasing channels.
- The security of transactions.
The points in favor are diverse: new possibilities to manage interactions with customers, an immersive shopping experience or the addition of being able to collect essential data related to the user experience.
The truth is that new technologies are an asset to be taken into consideration when strengthening company strategies. But how can your application meet the needs of interested companies and, at the same time, adapt to eCommerce technology trends?
In this article we are going to analyze trends in technological eCommerce.
1. Augmented reality: a technology at the service of immersion
Very popular in sectors such as video games for its immersive capabilities (that is, the integration of virtual objects in a real environment), augmented reality is applied in various ways in the field of electronic commerce.
For several years now, the online fashion industry has offered use cases for augmented reality, as is the case, for example, with the appearance of virtual changing rooms by brands such as Zara. Other entities from different spheres have also taken advantage of this innovative technology: for example, there is virtual interior design to choose furniture, immersive learning about the origin of a table wine , or even the personalized selection of spectacle frames , all from the comfort of home. And these are just some of the options available to users to enjoy a personalized online shopping experience.
Some benefits of augmented reality:
- Stimulation of decision-making and involvement by the client, since a realistic and customizable visualization of the product is available.
- Development of this technology in mobile devices, following the trend of increasing use of smartphones in the online sales environment.
Consult our augmented reality software catalog to learn about products for the development and implementation of this technology.
2. Voice search: an asset to the product selection process
This technology, elaborated with artificial intelligence, allows voice recognition through the analysis of the users’ voice, it has been developed at the same time as voice assistants such as Alexa or Google Assistant. It is one of the main trends in eCommerce.
As a key part of voice commerce, voice search applies to all stages of the buying process: from searching for information to confirming the transaction, to by product selection. Hence, to make the experience of its customers more fluid and personalize, Starbucks has included in its application a voice command to place orders.
Some advantages of voice search:
- Simplification of the purchase process, which allows the customer to make purchases at any time of the day, while carrying out other tasks.
- Optimization of the time spent in the purchase process (especially during the process of identification and completion of the order information).
3. Chatbots Or Virtual Assistants: Personalization of customer interactions
Conceived to interact directly with users, chatbots or virtual assistants are programs used to support certain interactions with customers. With them you can answer frequently asked questions, but also offer assistance to users throughout the purchase process, directing them to the most appropriate source of information if necessary.
Among other initiatives, one example is the iBoB booking assistant from the company Simplybook.me , which can inform customers or redirect them to an advisor if necessary. It is one case among many regarding the use of chatbots to streamline customer relationship processes.
Some advantages of chatbots:
- Multichannel integration (website, mobile application or even messaging) and support for users before, during and after the purchase.
- Automation of frequently asked questions, allowing teams to focus on tasks of greater importance and value.
4. Image recognition: a solution to improve product selection
Based on the recognition of a product from a photograph, image recognition facilitates the identification and immediate knowledge of the data related to the product in question.
This technology simplifies the user’s search and helps him access the necessary information to later make a purchase decision. This is how the adidas Originals iPhone application works, for example: through image recognition, it can indicate the model of the shoe you are looking for, as well as its availability in the nearest store.
Although image recognition is a fundamental factor in influencing the customer’s purchasing process as it provides information about the desired product, it can also be combined with other tools. Indeed, a combination of this technology can be carried out with the suggestion of similar products in case the desired item is not available in the first instance. It can also be used to assess the reputation of a product, since it allows companies to locate the different photographs of the article published on the network.
Some advantages of image recognition:
- Simplification of the immediate search for products and, therefore, of the purchase decision.
- Possibility of user feedback including images that preserve the image of the brand.
5. Data analysis tools: a technology to help understand online shopping behaviors
With the potential to help companies make strategic decisions, data analysis tools, which are part of business intelligence (BI) tools, make up a technology that provides answers to critical business questions. Like, for example, which product is the most searched for, how a landing page can affect conversion and what are the main characteristics of customer behavior during the purchase process.
In the era of Big Data , the analysis of specific data from each user’s journey is key to improving processes, whether they refer to shipping or delivery logistics issues, or to the forecast of eCommerce trends that it faces. the company. This is what Big Data tools can make easier, dealing with the collection, ordering and analysis of the data obtained during the interactions between the customer and the online shopping platform. Without a doubt, a trend in eCommerce that every business should consider having.
Some advantages of data analysis tools:
- Analysis of eCommerce trends to anticipate buyer behavior and identify their purchasing strategies.
- Identification of sales opportunities for cross-selling or upselling.
6. Social selling: a method to optimize omnichannel selling
In an era in which sales generated through social networks are increasing, social selling is a solution to optimize the personalization of the customer experience. This trend in eCommerce guarantees the presence of the brand in various social networks and thus diversifies the options of the purchase channel.
By using Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or even Snapchat as a spring or sales support, social selling not only encompasses the possibility of interacting and advising the customer during their online shopping experience, but also participating in the final conversion rates, thanks integrated sales functions and synchronization with corporate markets.
Some advantages of social selling:
- Creation of new potential business opportunities through sales on social networks.
- Support of the marketing operations already implemented and consolidation of the company’s presence in terms of content and relationship with the client.