ODT is a file format of LibreOffice Writer and OpenOffice documents. When the ODT documents are corrupted, then an error code appears on your screen and says, “ODT is corrupt and therefore cannot open.” In this article, we will show you how you can fix this issue.
Ways to Recover and Fix Corrupted ODT Files
Check for Backup Copy
Here are the steps to follow:
- Open File Explorer on your device.
- If you are LibreOffice user then you need to open the backup copy at the given path:
- C:Usersxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\LibreOffice\ 4userbackup
- If you are OpenOffice user then you need to open the given path in the file explorer:
- This folder may include a .bak file of the corrupted document. Click open to match the title.
- If the backup file folder is empty, then you need to ensure to add an ODT backup for next time when you need it. To do so, launch the Writer and then click “Tools” and select “Options.”
- Double-tap on the “Save or load” to enable the category of features.
- Now tap on “General” to launch the settings on your screen.
- Click the “Always create a backup copy” button.
- Additionally, you need to select the “Automatically save the document too” option.
- Select the “OK” button; now, you can copy Writer files when you cannot open ODT original files.
Update OpenOffice or LibreOffice
To update your OpenOffice or LibreOffice, you need to follow the steps given below:
- Tap on the “Help” icon and then select “Check for updates.”
- After the above process, available updates will appear on your screen.
- Now you need to tap on the “Download” button.
Insert Corrupted Files In Blank Documents
One of the easy tricks for opening corrupt ODT files is to launch them in Writer. Well, the Writer comes with an Insert option that allows users to insert files in blank documents.
You just need to launch any blank document and then click “Insert” select “File.” After that, insert the corrupt ODT files.
Fixing ODT Documents with OpenOffice Writer Document
For fixing this issue first, you need to use the utility of Repair OpenOffice Writer Document. Follow the steps given below to recover your corrupted file.
- Open the Writer app.
- Tap the “choose” option to pick an ODT document.
- Tap on “Secure Upload and Repair” for fixing this issue.
- Just wait for a while, and then download the fixed document.