Local Home Shifting Tips & Checklist
Home shifting can be emotional and extremely stressful, where you have to leave the comforts of the known and get adjusted in the strange surroundings. Added to this is the stress of moving your belongings and ensuring you remember every little task to be completed.
Changing homes is a tough task. It can be stressful and a complete mess if not properly planned. The best way is to make a checklist of all the things that you have to do before and after shifting. It will help you save time and energy, and you reduce the chances of missing out on anything crucial.
If you start planning out your shifting just a month prior, you will easily carry out all the necessary things. All you have to do is stay organized at every point of your planning.
Here are some tips and things to keep in mind that will help your home shifting.
One Month Prior-
If you are shifting homes locally, it is advised to start planning one month prior. Maintaining a diary with all the necessary details and lists will help you on the shifting day. There are going to be several tasks to do and remember. Making a list of them will help you achieve the goals at the set time.
- Now, the best way to shift homes is with professional movers and packers. Doing thorough research about the best movers and packers company of your town can be a tough task. Then checking out the background, authenticity, and license of the company can be a lengthy process. So the first task should be to research and hire the best movers and packers.
- Start packing the stuff that you need the least. In the process, the best advice is to declutter your belongings. Giveaway the items that you no longer need in your new home. Donate them, or you can also sell them online. And as you pack your stuff, note down the things you are packing for shifting. Taking a detailed inventory of all the stuff you will be moving will help if something gets misplaced while on the move.
- If possible, do a pre-move survey with your movers. They will also give you all the necessary and best advice needed while shifting houses. Also, while you hire movers, always compare multiple house shifting services companies before hiring.
Compare them based on the charges they take and the services they provide. Then choose the right moving day. The charges of movers may vary, based on weekends or month-ends. So final the home shifting day accordingly.
- Measure up the doors, furniture, and stairway of the new home. It is important while loading and unloading the items smoothly. By doing it beforehand, you and your movers will have enough time to get things done quickly, without wasting time.
- Amidst all the packing, remember to update all the necessary documents. All the essential documents like magazine subscriptions, posts, Bank details, etcetera have your address. So, it is necessary to update the address of these documents before shifting as it takes time.
- If you are moving into a house where people used to live earlier, you might need to deep clean the house before moving in. Clean the house deeply and check out for any insects or pests already moved into your new home. This will also allow you to check if the house needs any repairs like electricity or water leakage.
One Week Prior
As the time for shifting home comes closer, it is very likely to make you stressed. So this is the time when you start focusing on collecting and packing valuable things.
- Organizing and packing all the important documents in one place is essential. Different papers are kept in different corners of your house. It will also allow you to sort all the papers and documents. Keep all the necessary documents like passport, birth certificates, tax papers, and all other sorts of government-related documents together.
Along with this, pack all the valuables like jewelry and ornaments too. They are worth a lot, and it is safer to keep them close to you.
- It always serves better when you pack an overnight bag when moving into a new home. Things like- legal documents, set of clothes, toiletries, gadgets, etcetera. All that you might need on your first night at the new house.
Another thing that you will be needing from day one is the cleaning supplies like mop, broom, rags and paper towels, etcetera.
- Before you move into your new place, check whether the utility services are taken care of or not. You might want to reconnect and update the address for electricity, water, LPG gas, internet, milk, etcetera before moving in.
- Apart from the legal documents and valuable things, it is necessary that you pack all the electric appliances safely. Appliances like AC, TV, fridge, etcetera need to be cleaned thoroughly inside out before packing safely.
- Now that everything is complete, do not forget to take pictures of the packed goods. It gets easier to check and tally the numbers of the boxes and take care of them in case anything gets damaged or misplaced.
Apart from this, keep the refreshments and cash ready for the relocation process.
Now that you have come this far in packing boxes safely, it is time to move out to the new place. Now you have to check things at the new home as well as the old home.
For old house keep the following things in check-
- Check for packing done by the packers and movers. It is necessary to check whether all the goods have been packed safely and securely.
- Always double-check before leaving the house. Go through every nook and cranny, drawers, cupboards so that you do not miss out on any minute or significant either.
- Now that everything is loaded and ready to move, guide your movers to your location. Ensure that there is no confusion. It will save you time, energy, as well as money. Moreover, you will arrive early, giving you enough time to settle at the new place.
Things to check in your new home-
- Now that you have reached your location, take care of the movers and packers unloading your goods. It is better to guide them throughout the process of unloading. In this way, you can easily inspect for any sort of damage that happened.
- Now being a good host, you should offer refreshments and tips to the movers and packers who have worked so hard and diligently to deliver your goods safe and sound.
- Now that everything is set, it is advised to set up your bedrooms first. So open up your overnight bed and unpack all kinds of essential items packed and put them into their desired places.
From the next day, it is going to be a long day for setting up the house.
Phew! That was long! We’re exhausted but glad you were able to go through it all. We hope our house shifting tips for moving into a new home provided you with the ultimate help you required.
On a final note: Congrats on your new home! Here’s wishing you lots of happy memories and new experiences with your family.