If you are looking for an affordable way to enclose your backyard, give hog wire a try! Hog wire is a great option because it’s durable and easy to install. This article will teach you all the basics of hog wire fence design.
What Is Hog Wire?
Hog wire is traditionally used as temporary fencing on farms or construction sites where livestock and machinery need to be contained. It can also serve as a permanent perimeter barrier in residential yards, cemeteries, parking lots, and more. It is available in rolls of varying lengths and can be purchased at your local farm supply store or home improvement center.
Hog wire is very versatile, and it may be made with a variety of metals ranging from dull aluminum to sharp galvanized steel. It typically comes in rolls that are 4 feet tall, 3 feet wide, and contain 25 feet of fencing. The posts typically used with hog wire are also called “hog posts,” which are thick tubes that are buried into the ground at least 3 to 6 inches deep.
Rigid Vs. Flexible
There are two main types of hog wire: rigid and flexible. Rigid hog wire can be installed in place of PVC pipe fencing or chain link fencing around your property to keep your kids and pets from wandering away. It’s more popular for use around farm animals, but it can be added to existing fence lines, too. Flexible hog wire is typically used for temporary fencing for construction sites or outdoor markets because it is lightweight and easier to transport than its rigid counterpart. It may also be used for temporary paddock enclosures for livestock.
Hog wire has various applications, and it can even be used as a decorative element in your yard! Some people choose to install hog wire between existing wooden posts to create a fence that offers shade. If you are looking to add some color to your yard, hog wire can be painted with some exterior latex paint or an acrylic spray designed specifically for metal. Wrap the flexible wire around existing trees and posts, or use it as a decorative fence around flower beds. You can even use it to add a little shade to your porch or patio. The possibilities are endless!
Steps To Install
- Decide on the perimeter of the fence you need. Determine if you want to install hog wire around trees, flower beds, vehicles in a parking lot, etc.
- Dig post holes at the appropriate depth and width depending on the type of posts you plan to use and what type of soil your yard is made out of (sand or clay). If you are planning to use concrete blocks or cinderblocks, simply dig holes that are the same diameter as the posts.
- Choose where you want to install your hog wire. Make sure that it is at least 5 inches away from power lines and other electrical outlets. If you are installing this fence around a lot with pets, move it at least 8 feet from fire hydrants, etc.
- Run flexible hog wire through the post holes using stakes that have been pounded into the ground prior to installation. Pack the wire in tightly so that it doesn’t shift.
- Add tension to the fence by pulling a bungee cord or rope through the posts. Anchor this tension point on one end of your property and then pull down the fencing until it is taut. Add additional tension by adding hog wire clips to hold the fence tight, or anchor your fence in place with a length of chain secured around each side of your flexible post’s base with a carabiner.
- Attach hog wire clips to the posts every 6 feet or so. This will help keep the fence tight and provide a secure attachment point for the wire.
You can use hog wire as either a rigid or flexible fence, but if you want flexibility, consider adding lengths of 4-foot-long pvc piping between your hog wire posts. This will give your fence some additional movement without having to worry about it sagging too much over time. This is especially true if you live in a windy area.
- You can add extra hog wire around your posts for decoration or paint the wire to make it stand out more. If you are planning to keep animals in this area, consider attaching wire fencing to the outside of your hog wire fence, too.
That’s all there is to it! This should give you a good idea of how easy it can be to install a hog wire fence around your property. The hardest part is digging holes for the posts and attaching tension points if you are using flexible fencing. If you want more permanent fencing, you may want to consider using metal posts instead of concrete blocks or cinderblocks.
Hog wire fencing is a great way to add an economical barrier around your property. It’s durable, it blends in well with the surrounding environment, and it can be used as either rigid or flexible fencing depending on your needs!
Benefits of Hog Wire fence for your backyard
- If you are planning a pet, and you have a small pet then a hog wire fence is a great choice. It will be your best option for your valuable animals, as well as for your favorite garden.
- The second benefit of a hog wire fence is that it prevents any kind of accident if you happen to fall from the top of the gate. Your children will not get hurt if they accidentally fall down from the height of your fence.
The third benefit of a hog wire fence is its easy installation process. If you are looking for an easy-to-install fence then without any doubt it is the hog wire fence that can be a great choice for you. It can be installed in your yard very quickly and easily. You just have to keep in your mind that hog wire fences are normally used. If you want to prevent any kind of accident or something like that.
- Fourth benefit of it is long-lasting fencing. This type of fencing is designed with galvanized steel and it can run up to 25 feet. The galvanized steel of hog wire fence can provide you with a long-lasting fence. Only one type of material is used in its construction but it is enough to serve your purpose.
- The last benefit of the hog wire fence is that it is available in a variety of designs and sizes. You can choose any design according to your choice and its size. On the basis of its size, it comes in different varieties like half-inch to one-inch in sizes, etc.
If you are looking for a durable and cost-effective fence then hog wire is a great choice. It can be installed in the shortest time possible. And it won’t take more than an hour to complete your fence. It blends well with the surroundings, and it is also very easy to install. The only cost involved here is the hardware required to install hog wire fencing.
You can add more decor by painting the steel fence with decorative paint. Or spray paint that is available in some hardware stores.
Hog wire fencing is a great way to add an economical barrier around your property. If you are thinking of adding privacy to your yard or garden, hog wire is the best choice for you. It can be used as either rigid or flexible fencing depending on your needs! It’s durable, it blends in well with the surrounding environment. And it can be used as either rigid or flexible fencing depending on your needs! Decorative paint can make this kind of fence look really great and interesting.