The following items are included in this article:
- Manually Import PST to Outlook 365
- How to Automatically Migrate Outlook Mailboxes to Microsoft 365
Migrating from on-premises environments to the cloud can significantly increase your business productivity because it provides many benefits such as advanced security, anywhere accessibility, advanced security features, collaboration tools (Yammer, SharePoint, Skype for Business) integration, extended mailboxes, flexible subscription plans, inbuilt migration features, and more, including an enterprise-level archiving system. However, many end-users are required to migrate emails from Outlook on their desktop to Microsoft 365 mailboxes as a result of organization migration, mergers, or the need for periodic backups to a secure cloud destination after subscribing to Microsoft 365. We’ll walk you through both manual and automated methods to import PST to Outlook 365 mailboxes in this article.
Manually Import PST to Outlook 365 Mailbox
We’ll need to configure Microsoft 365 account in MS Outlook before manually importing PST files to the Microsoft 365 mailbox or performing mailbox migration to Microsoft 365. Then take the following steps:
- Select Import/Export from the File tab, then Open & Export.
- In the Import and Export wizard, click Next after selecting Import from another program.
- Select Outlook Data File (.pst) and click Next.
- Browse for the Outlook PST data file, select it, and click Next.
- Set Options to manage duplicate items in the file according to your preferences, and then click Next.
Note: If the PST file is password-protected, enter and unlock the password before clicking OK.
- Select the Microsoft 365 mailbox in the Import items to the same folder option, then click Finish.
That concludes our discussion. The manual method is extremely quick, and there is nothing to be concerned about during the process except file size (as it does not work well with large files and only supports a single file at a time) and the risk of data loss (no guarantee of complete data migration). However, Microsoft offers two additional methods for importing PST files into Microsoft 365 mailboxes. Let’s take a closer look at these approaches.
A. Import PST to Microsoft 365 via Network Upload
The Network Upload method is a great way to import PST data to Microsoft 365 and it’s completely free. Using the Azure AzCopy tool, administrators can import their entire PST data into Microsoft 365. However, before migrating to Microsoft 365, the PST file should be saved on a file server or shared folder in your organization. The following are the steps involved in using the Network upload method:
- Installing Azure AzCopy and copying the SAS URL
- Using Microsoft 365 to upload a PST file
- PST Import Mapping File Creation
- In Microsoft 365, create a PST Import job.
- Data filtering and PST import job execution.
This method only allows you to export one PST file at a time; if you need to export multiple PST files to Microsoft 365, repeat the process from step 2 to step 6 or use a CSV file. As a result, moving multiple PSTs to the cloud destination appears to be a complicated and time-consuming process.
B. Import PST to Microsoft 365 via Drive Shipping
Drive Shipping, which uses a Secure storage key and the PST Import Tool, is another way to import PST data to Microsoft 365. This method requires you to copy your PST data to a hard drive and then ship it to one of Microsoft 365’s physical locations. The following are the steps involved in the Drive Shipping method:
- Downloading the PST Import tool and the secure storage key
- Transferring PST data to a hard drive
- Creating an Import Mapping File for PST
- In Microsoft 365, create a PST Import job.
- Microsoft is receiving a hard drive.
- Filtering the information and beginning the import process.
The disadvantages of this method are that it takes 1-2 weeks to import PST data to Microsoft 365, and no organization can afford to wait that long if they need to upload PST to Microsoft 365 right away. Additionally, the method is not free, as it charges per GB of data.
It would be a hassle for Exchange administrators if organizations had to import PST files into multiple Microsoft 365 mailboxes.
Users can easily mishandle both the Network Upload and Drive Shipping methods, resulting in incomplete migrations, data loss, or corruption.
All of these flaws in manual procedures should serve as a warning to users, who should then use automated tools to import PST files into one or more Microsoft 365 mailboxes.
How to Automatically Migrate Outlook Mailboxes to Microsoft 365?
Using a professional tool to simplify the lengthy and time-consuming manual PST importing task is the best option. Import PST to Office 365 is a fantastic tool for migrating Outlook to Office 365. Importing PST files to one or more Microsoft 365 mailboxes is simple with the Import PST to Microsoft 365 software.
It has the ability to import bulk emails from Outlook to Microsoft 365 account. Within a single attempt, one can convert unlimited PST files to Outlook 365 mailbox. The tool preserves the original formatting and hierarchy of folders during the process.
It also keeps intact all email attributes such as mail headers, signatures, images, hyperlinks, etc. There are no limitations to perform migration of PST files to Outlook 365 with this software.
The tool comes with a very user-friendly interface which helps the novice as well as technical individuals to perform PST to Outlook 365 migration.
It is compatible with PST files of all versions like Outlook 2019, Outlook 2016, Outlook 2016, Outlook 2013, etc.
Also, one can install this utility on any Microsoft Windows Operating Systems such as Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2019, Windows Server 2016, Windows Server 2012 and prior versions.
Here’s How to Use a Professional Tool to Import Outlook PST Files into Office 365:
- Use the PST to Outlook 365 Import tool to get started.
- The software offers dual options to import PST files for the migration. Either you can select data manually or can click on ‘Convert configured Outlook mailbox data’. By enabling this option, the tool automatically loads data from the default location. Otherwise, you can click on the Select Files or Select Folder section, click browse for the PST file and click Open.
After choosing files, you can enable required PST folders which you need to import to Outlook 365.
After this, navigate to the saving options available in the toolkit and choose Office 365 as the saving option from the list.
At this step, you will need to enter your Microsoft 365/Exchange account login information.
You can also choose mailbox mapping if required.
- You can apply filters at this point if necessary. These filters will help you to sort emails as per date range, subject, email address, etc.
- Lastly, click on the backup button to start the import of PST files to Outlook 365 mailbox.
- As a result, the smart and simple process of migrating Outlook emails to an Office 365 mailbox has been completed.
Email migration from PST to Outlook 365 mailbox can be difficult and time-consuming, but migrating the PST file data in the same order of hierarchy is critical to avoid a workflow break. Individuals and businesses alike can benefit greatly from having the right tools at the right time. A good example is the suggested tool for Import PST to Office 365 Mailbox.
One can use the free version of this software to evaluate the tool’s features and functionalities. It allows converting few PST file items to Outlook 365 mailbox. Once you are completely satisfied with the tool’s performance, thereafter you can purchase the license keys of the product.
Also learn- How to Migrate Kerio emails to Office 365