High blood pressure or hypertension is a severe condition that leads to heart attacks, strokes, and also sometimes lead to death. Blood pressure is believed to kill an individual silently. It is all the more dangerous as it displays no symptoms. So, the only way to find out if someone is suffering from high blood pressure is by getting yourself checked regularly. The next logical step is, of course, to find ways of controlling blood pressure.
Causes of high blood pressure
Hypertension is an independent condition. This means that it is not triggered by other medical conditions, including diabetes, heart-related problems, or kidney malfunctioning. Stress is a significant factor that is often the cause of hypertension. When you are stressed, your heart starts beating faster. The blood vessels also begin contrasting. Other factors are resulting in hypertension. These include adverse lifestyle choices, including smoking, drinking, drug abuse, etc. Again, if you do not exercise enough or are overweight, that could also lead to hypertension. Practicing yoga will help in reducing high blood pressure. It is said that the more flexible your blood vessels are, the less pressure is required for the blood to flow. Therefore, it reduces the risk of hypertension. Here is a list of some of the best yoga poses that will reduce the blood sugar level.
Shishuasana (Child Pose)
Shishuasana is also regarded as the child’s pose. This is great for patients who are suffering from hypertension. This also provides an opportunity to calm a person down and also helps him to relax. This yoga posture also helps reduce stress and improves blood circulation throughout the body. Moreover, this also ensures that both the hips and spine are getting movement. This is how you can do the pose:
- First, you will have to get on your hands and feet on the floor.
- You will then have to spread your knees and position your toes to touch each other.
- It would help if you positioned your stomach, so it falls between your thighs and let your forehead drop towards the floor.
- It would help if you extended your arms in front of your body and your palms should face the floor.
- You need to breathe in and also breathe out deeply.
Vajrasana, Diamond Pose
The diamond or Vajarasana pose helps in controlling obesity. This also increases blood flow to the lower abdomen. All you need to do is kneel down and bring your knees too close together. You will then have to sit between your calves and pull your feet close to your buttocks. You will have to ensure that your buttocks are straight. It would be best if you stretched the arms forward, and you will have to cover the knees with the palms. You will have to maintain the posture for 2 minutes at the outset. You can practice this posture any time post-lunch or dinner.
Paschimottanasana, or the forward bend pose
The forward bend helps in reducing the fat deposits that are there in the lower stomach and also helps in weight loss. It also helps relieve stress and helps in regulating blood pressure. You will have to stand in front of a chair with your feet hip-distance apart. The hands should be placed by your side. You should inhale and extend your hands about your head towards the ceiling. It would be best if you exhaled, hinge at the hips to fold forward, and then you will have to rest your forearms on the chair. You should place your forehead on top of your hands. You will have to hold the pose for about 10-15 breaths. You will have to press your tailbone and contract your abdominal muscles to rise slowly. Practice this yoga form regularly will help you to lose the extra tummy fat.
Shavasana or corpse pose
There are high chances that you have already heard about this famous yoga pose. This is the ultimate resting pose. This pose allows your body to relax. Moreover, this also allows your brain to process the workout so that your body can reap the benefits. The list of below mentioned steps will help you to understand the yoga poses faster:
- You must lie down straight on your back and then close your eyes.
- After that, you will have to relax your mind and body. Make sure to take your time to feel the weightlessness around you.
- Do not think about anything else. Just try to focus on releasing stress and relax completely.
- You will have to be in this position for about 15-20 minutes.
- This should be the last step of your yoga session.
Sukhasana or easy pose
The sukhasana, or easy pose, is a form that regulates your breathing. This pose relieves high blood pressure by helping you reduce stress.
- You will first have to sit on a yoga mat, yoga blanket, or bare floor and your legs must be extended outward.
- You will then have to position your arms and shoulders and cross your legs.
- Now, you will have to widen your knees and relax your arms.
- Finally, you will have to straighten your back, soften your neck, and look straight.
- Your body posture tends to improve if you practice this particular asana.
Badhakonasana or Butterfly Pose
This asana is also called the butterfly pose because of the movement of the legs while performing the asana. There are several benefits of the Badhakonasana pose. Yoga stimulates the blood and thereby the blood circulation in the body improves.
- You first need to sit with your spine erect and your legs spread straight out.
- In the second step, you will have to bend your knees and bring your feet towards the pelvis so that the soles of the feet can touch each other.
- You then need to grab your feet tightly using your hands, and if you want, you can also place the hands underneath the feet for support.
- You should ensure that the heels are as close to the genitals as possible.
- It would be best if you now took a deep breath in. It would be best to press the thighs and knees toward the floor while breathing. You should make a gentle effort and keep pushing them downward.
- You will now start flapping both legs up and down, similar to a butterfly’s wings. You will have to remember to start slow and gradually increase the speed. Remember to breathe throughout.
- As you exhale, you will have to release the posture gently. Make sure that you straighten the legs out in front of you and relax.
Yoga can help in keeping your blood pressure under control.
There are several studies that have proved the fact that yoga can help in keeping the blood pressure at the right level. A recent study tested yoga practice thrice a week for people with high blood pressure. It would be best if you trained in the best Yoga School in Rishikesh. The results show that those people who practiced yoga experienced a significant reduction in the levels of their blood pressure in comparison to those who did not. Another study found that yoga’s effect on high blood pressure is even more significant when breath work and meditation are part of the practice.
Improving blood circulation that helps in lowering the blood sugar levels
Bhastrika Pranayama or Breath of Fire
This increases the supply of oxygen to the different body parts. This also improves blood circulation and relieves stress and hypertension.
Kapal Bhati, or skull shining breathing technique
This helps in removing fat from the belly region. This is useful for general weight loss.
Bhramari pranayama or bee breath
This posture causes specific vibrations. These vibrations resonate within and deeply relax the body and mind. This also relieves tension and anxiety and also helps in balancing high blood pressure.
Nadi shodhan pranayama, or alternate nostril breathing technique
This is quite a calming and powerful pranayama. This helps in removing the blockages in your arteries to a great extent. This also helps in improving blood circulation in the region of the head.
Full yogic breathing
This helps you to breathe slowly. If your heart rate is too fast, this technique will help you to slow it down and will also help you to relax your body.
Research indicates that physical activity can lower blood pressure to a great extent. It will be a good idea to club yoga and pranayama and lead a healthy lifestyle. If you want to control high blood pressure, you should regulate your diet. It is also important for you to avoid habits that include smoking and drinking. You have to take one step at a time and not be in a hurry to get results. You will only then be able to find a smooth path to holistic healing that will help in reducing your problems related to the blood pressure. There are also some researchers who have investigated the ways in which yoga can impact the overall functioning of the body and improve the health. The 500 Hour Yoga Teacher Training in Rishikesh will master you in most of the yoga postures.